Monday, July 20, 2009

Opinionated

Friday night I read this article in a women's magazine and I still can't get it out of my head. Not because it was a great article, though it was written fairly well, it's more what the article was about. It was an opinion piece written by a mother of two, both girls, and she was talking about tattoos. A friend of hers had turned 50 and decided to commemorate it with a tattoo, along with Barbie who also got a tattoo for turning 50. Anyways, this woman was writing about how we are becoming a generation who follows extremes, I can't remember the exact wording that she used but that kind of sums it up. She mentioned girls getting their ears pierced at a young age, she feels that this should be a right of passage when a girl turns 13. I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think you should shove your opinion down others throat. Okay, so maybe she wasn't that bad, it did seem like it though. The wording she used seemed to convey that her ideas are the right ones, that those of us who get tattoos as mothers are setting a really horrible example for our children, that having more than one earring in our ears is another strike against us, like if we have any of these things we can't be good mothers. Well you know what, I have two tattoos and I got both after my daughter was born, they mean a hell of a lot to me. My first ever tattoo is an angel on my lower back with my daughters name underneath it, because to me she is my guardian angel. I have five earrings in each ear, a belly ring and one in my tongue as well. According to this woman I must be a bad mother. I try my best though, I do what I can. I'm glad that my daughter sees my tattoo all the time because she knows that I got it for her, she knows that it's her name underneath the angel, she knows that I see her as my angel, and she sees the proof of that every day. I'm not saying that people should run out and get a tattoo, it's something that you really have to think about, you have to know that you are going to want it forever. But I don't believe that there is anything wrong with them, or piercings, or crazy hair colors. It's a personal choice, it's something that expresses yourself, what is wrong with that? It's like writing, it's an expression of self, and if it makes you happy then why not???
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=tattooed+moms&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=6D1lSqeRFpT6MbeQ-ZwB&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

No comments:

Post a Comment