Wednesday, July 29, 2009

For the love of a good book

I wonder how much it would cost to rent Chapters? You know, you could buy a fold out couch so that during the day people could still sit on it, you'd get to wake up to the smell of Starbucks Coffee every morning, and then just spend the whole day reading. It would be like heaven! At least for me it would be. I have always been in love with books, for as long as I can remember. It's always so great when I discover a new author that I just love, I want to go out and buy all their books so that I can read them all at once. Books are just so great! They can be a comfortable old friend, they can take you all kinds of places, and they really don't cost all that much, I mean if you want you can just go to the library and borrow them for free! I think that is one of the first things that I do when I move to a new place is find the library and get a card. Then I take out about ten books and read them all in four days, well, most of the time it only takes me a few days to read them all. I just can't help it, if I get really into a book I just don't want to put it down, I need to know how it ends, I need to know what happens to everyone. I love the smell of books, just walking through a library or a book store is amazing to my senses, I love it. And books are a great gift! (or a gift card to a book store) I usually try and throw in a book for every kids birthday present, I figure it's good in a few ways, it's passing on a love of reading and it gives parents and children something else to do together!


Think of Chapters for a minute, you could totally live there, think about all the new authors that you would find, all the classics that you could re-read, all the places that you could 'travel', all the art you could learn about. Then they also have all the cards and note books and paper, pens, the coffee, the music, even some movies, they have computers...... seriously, heaven. I think they should make a movie about someone living in Chapters, I mean it worked for Walmart right?


I do love books, they are just amazing. I always wonder how there are so many people who can come up with so many ideas for different books that so many others just love. Of course I have my favorites, psycho thrillers are some of the best for me, Stephen King of course, he scares the crap out of me, though it's in a good way, Dean Koontz (to me his Odd Thomas series is the best by far), Kathy Reichs (Canada's answer to Patricia Cronwell), James Patterson, and numerous others who's names I just can't think of. Those aren't the only authors I read though, I love Shakespeare, Jane Austen, I even enjoy some your adult books. I like my romance novels as well, and Chicken Soup for the Soul. I find my tastes in books expanding as I get older, authors and books that I never would have looked at ten years ago have become favorites. Anne Rice, I think she's great, James Herriot is amazing I think his books are even better because they are based on his life. Though I do remember reading most of Michael Crichton's books as a teenager. I've just always found that books are something I can lose myself in, if I've had a bad day, if I'm upset, if I just need something to do for a bit. I would much rather lose myself in a book than watch TV. The only problem is that when I start reading I get nothing done!


This past Sunday my lovely boyfriend took our daughter and I to Chapters for books, which is actually really sweet seeing as he doesn't like reading at all! He even paid for our books for us. I was able to find 4 that I liked on the 4 for $10 table as well as one extra book for $3.99, god I love it when they have sales like that. Our daughter found 2 books that she wanted and we were set! I almost always buy T* at least one book when I get myself one, I just can't pass up the chance to pass on my love for reading! It's now Wednesday and I have one and a half books left to read lol, did I tell you I read fast.


Speaking of reading fast, I was able to find four books this year that I read in five days flat, and they aren't little short books either. Then for the first time EVER I picked them up and read them through and 2nd and 3rd time all within about a month and a half!! I have never been able to do that before, usually I have to wait a year or so before I can read a book again or I just can't get into it because I remember it all. These books though..... Even now I want to read them again! Of course I am talking about the much loved Twilight series by the wonderful writer Stephenie Meyer. I really don't care if you didn't like the movie or not or if you wouldn't read the books because everyone else is. I think they are amazing! Honestly, I read the first book in seven hours!! I just really like the way that she writes, I still have yet to read her other book The Host but I am looking forward to it. Yes I have seen the movie, I even own it, and will go and see the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ones as well, I enjoyed the first one, although as is usually the case, the book was better. I have also read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies so far, I even had my boyfriend watch the latest one with me even though he can't stand Harry Potter (see what a sweet guy I have??).


So yes some of the books I enjoy are very main stream but I enjoy them anyways, I always love finding new authors and talking about a new book that I found so feel free to let me know if there is anyone you think I should really read. 'Til then why not curl up with a good book? That's what I'm going to do :).

No comments:

Post a Comment